- 1 kilo chicken, serving size, any part of your choice
- 1 tbs oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbs ginger, peeled, cut into strips
- 3 green papayas, peeled, inside part removed, sliced
- 1 cup dahong sili (chili leaves), or malunggay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken cube, optional
- 1 tbs patis (fish sauce)
Note: In the Visayas and Mindanao, they know fish sauce as “Rufina Patis” which is actually a brand name. Patis, on the other hand, is known as soy sauce (toyo) in their provinces. So when you go to a local restaurant, don’t be surprised if they give you soy sauce if you ask for patis. 😉
1. Heat oil on a sauce pan over medium heat. Saute garlic, ginger and onion.
2. When onion turns transluscent, add the chicken pieces. Add salt, pepper and chicken cube to taste. Cook for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
TIP 5: I always add the seasoning early so that the meat will absorb the flavor.
3. Add water and patis. Bring to a boil. Lower down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is half done. You can add more water if it dries up.
4. Add the green papayas. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the papayas are cooked.
5. Remove from heat. Add the dahong sili or malunggay leaves. Wait for about 5 minutes until the leaves are cooked.
6. Serve with rice.
Serves 5-6 people.