One of the popular Filipino chicken dishes is the Chicken Afritada, probably next to Chicken Tinola.
Chicken Afritada is a saucy chicken stew with vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots. Onions are added last because we don’t want them to be overly cooked. The mild sweetness of onions and green peas combined with the savory flavor of the rest of the ingredients make Chicken Afritada a popular dish among Filipinos.
Chicken Afritada Recipe
You will need:
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium-size red tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 kilo chicken, any preferred parts, cut into serving size
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium-size onions, cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the potatoes until almost brown. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté garlic, and tomatoes. Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until half brown turning over occasionally.
- Add water, patis, and bouillon cubes and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Add the green peas. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes, bell pepper, and onion. Simmer until all ingredients are cooked.
- Serve with rice.