- 1 tspn cooking oil
- 1 tspn butter (optional)
- 1 tspn garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and julienned (cut into strips)
- 1 kilo mussels (tahong), shells cleansed
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tspn fish sauce (patis)
- salt (optional) and pepper to taste
1. In a large sauce pan over medium heat, saute garlic, onion and ginger in oil and butter. When the onion becomes transluscent, add the tahong. Stir occasionally for about two minutes.
2. Add water, patis and pepper. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Simmer until the tahong shells have all opened (Do not overcook the tahong! The meat will shrink if cooked for too long.).
3. You may add more water if the soup has dried up. Taste the soup base, then add salt only if needed.
4. Serve with steamed rice. Eat with your hands! Preferred condiment is a mixture of white vinegar and patis.