The scorching summer heat in the Philippines is something that you either love or hate. You love it because a fine weather complements our picture-perfect beaches. You hate it because you don’t like the feeling of heat as you drip with sweat while commuting or walking along the streets of Metro Manila. The oppressively hot and humid weather in the past weeks has been getting worse — no thanks to climate change — and there are no signs of it alleviating anytime soon.
But, hey! We’re Pinoys! We can always find solutions in every problem. We are very adaptable to changes. Ika nga, if you can’t beat them, join them! And the summer heat, despite the temperature rising every year, is no exemption.
So, in order to cool us down, we have concocted different ice-cold sweets that are perfect in our tropical climate. One of which is the Ice Candy. Doesn’t it instantly remind you of your childhood? Don’t we all remember knocking on Aling Nena’s gate every afternoon to buy a stick of this amazing cold and refreshing treat? I’m sure you do!
Ice Candy comes in a variety of flavors, and I know everyone has his or her own personal choice. There’s red mung beans, mango, pinipig, chocolate, and my favorite — avocado. In fact, even your preferred juice flavors can be turned into Ice Candy.
On this blog post, I am sharing my mother’s Avocado Ice Candy recipe which she made yesterday. Everyone in the family loves this flavor, and I’m pretty sure many of you would love it too. If you don’t like avocado, you can replace it with mango or any fruit that you like. Just make sure that your fruit of choice is in season. If you want to use red mung beans, click here to learn how to make the paste. Ice Candy is very easy and fun to make; you can actually involve the kids in making them. Not to mention, it’s easy on the budget.
Ready? Click below to grab the recipe:
Avocado Ice Candy
You will need:
- 1 medium-sized avocado, peeled, meat shredded
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- ice candy plastic bags, size 2″X10″
How to prepare:
- In a large bowl, mix shredded avocado meat, sugar, evaporated milk, and water. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Taste the mixture. Add more sugar if necessary. Keep in mind that the sweetness diminishes as the mixture freezes.
- Using a funnel and a ladle, fill up the ice candy bags with the mixture leaving enough space near the mouth to tie a knot. Close the plastic bag by securing it with a knot.
- Place inside the freezer and wait until it solidifies.
- Serve on a hot summer day.